I crushed my poor son in a hug that had been building for three weeks, and I remember his little body feeling impossibly big in my arms. Annabell, too, looked a year older, and I was struck again at how much can change in such a short span of time.
And then I was watching Tim clinging for dear life to his oldest daughter and realizing, "We made it. We're together. It's over."
Oh, the relief. I'll never forget it. Or the relaxation of driving on roads with lines, drinking that first post-trip glass of cold cow's milk, eating fresh produce without worrying about severe abdominal distress, walking into the public bathroom to find a toilet complete with seat and toilet paper rather than grip pads on the floor with a hole in between.
So many luxuries to enjoy, yet there was also a sadness. Immediately, there was sadness and longing. I wanted to go back, even then. With our kids, of course. I couldn't stand the thought of ever being separated from them again. But even though our journey had just ended, I felt that somehow it had really just begun. Rwanda was in our hearts to stay.
I don't know where those thoughts and feelings will lead down the road, but I do know that any path we take, we'll take together. Happy family day to us, McLennan party of 5.






Sigh of relief. That's what family day feels like--together at last. Congratulations, McLennans!
ReplyDeleteOh, I had forgotten about the awful boxed milk you bought at Bambis to try to fill your craving, such a great memory now that we have as much good milk as we could desire.
ReplyDeleteWish we were all back now! Enjoy year 2 :)
Love you, Sheri
Are you in need of a business or personal loan? I want to share my positive experience with Best Loan lender, who helped me secure a loan when my wife and I faced challenges with other lenders. It's hard to find a genuine lender, but Best Loan lender won't disappoint you. Contact them at pedroloanss@gmail.com or WhatsApp +393510140339. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteNazgul William