Friday, May 18, 2012

when little things are big

Three summers ago we held our first adoption fundraiser, a massive yard sale stocked with items donated by family, friends, and friends of friends we'd never even met. The week before the sale I spent 40 hours in my parents' garage sorting, pricing, and crying. It was my first taste of the massive grace we would experience at the hands of those who supported us, and I felt so unworthy.

I didn't expect a huge return from the sale. After all, how much could a garage full of used toys and knick-knacks really bring in? But I knew that every dollar would bring us one step closer to our child, so I was thankful. Wanting to hold onto gratitude and avoid setting myself up for disappointment, I tried not to estimate how much we would earn. But as the morning of the sale dawned and the customers streamed in, I grew hopeful that we would reach $1000.

When it was over, three hours later than we'd planned, I was exhausted. My brain was tired from calculating totals and making change at lightning speed while a long line of customers stood waiting. To say the day had been a success would be a major understatement. I dragged myself off the couch to make the final tally, and again burst into tears. So much for disappointment. We were $2400 closer to Rwanda.

I'm slow getting to the point of this story, but here it is:

Little things make a big difference.

Having learned this lesson firsthand, I'm now passionate about helping in big and so-called small ways. And today I'm asking you to join me in one of these.

Our dear friends, Jeremy and Allie Brannon, are preparing for their second adoption. Having endured the adoption wait together, traveled to Africa at the same time, and witnessed their sweet daughter thrive in their care over the past year, we are wholeheartedly cheering them on. They are made for adoption, and I can't wait to see them welcome another baby girl into their loving home.

But before they can, they need to raise money. They are currently running two fundraisers, both of which provide an opportunity to help in really big small ways. The first is called Piece by Piece. It's brilliant, easy, fun, and only it only takes $10 to be involved. You can find the details or take part here. Check out this video (double-click to view full screen):



The second is called Necklace by Necklace, I personally find this one rather addictive. These adorable necklaces ($20 including shipping) make fabulous gifts, and they're just plain sweet. I'm a sucker for color, so I could go for one of each shade of the rainbow. Here's one I just bought:


You can go to this page to see the many colors available.

See? Making a difference doesn't have to drain your bank account. You can impact a child's life and a family's future one dollar (or piece, or necklace) at a time. Take it from someone who's blubbered with gratitude over dusty wax Santa candles and chipped Disney figurines. Little things make a big difference.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Thank you Allison. That made my day :) May God be glorified as our family grows in size and deepens in our impact for the Gospel.

    ReplyDelete