Thursday, May 31, 2012

God on my front porch


We moved to a new neighborhood a few months ago, and now we have a front porch. I was so excited when we signed the contract, envisioning the lazy afternoons and peaceful summer evenings I would spend out there with a good book or a good friend. But then the move happened, and the renovations, and the unexpected malfunctions of our so-called “like new” appliances. Before I knew it, my furniture money was swallowed up, leaving me with a big old front porch and nothing to sit on but the concrete.

It took me until this week to get over my “what will the neighbors think?” funk and coerce my husband into moving our ratty, rusting deck swing out front. Sure, it looks cheesy and doesn’t do much for the curb appeal, but it helps me worship. There’s something about being outdoors, rocking gently, and staring at the night sky that inspires a soul to surrender gladly to its Creator.

Whatever works. That’s what I’m learning. Life is short, I’m distractible, and the truly important things are easy to miss. So if I find a habit that helps me focus and energizes me to pursue life in Christ, I’m going to feed it.

Rocking on my front porch swing. Sitting on a Rubbermaid stool in my shower until the hot water runs out. Reading the Bible on my phone when I’m stuck waiting someplace for five minutes. Going to bed when I’m tired, instead of when the clock says it's late enough. This is how I feed my soul.

How do you feed yours? I’m always looking for inspiration…

2 comments:

  1. My soul is fed by me allowing God to DAILY seep deep into my calloused heart through His Word. Actually, I think His Rx would be "3 X daily"!! I love you. I love your rusty swing. But I love you more :) Seeing a not so perfect house makes it more approachable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this beautiful post. I also love sitting outside at night looking at the stars. It helps me put my day into perspective and reminds me what an Awesome God we serve. I love you so much and am a richer person for knowing you.

    ReplyDelete