God is up to something, and I can't wait to find out what it is! I keep asking myself: Why are we adopting from Rwanda? Why that country, and why now?
Some people might think we chose Rwanda because of our friends Peter and Laurel Greer, who recently adopted their son from the same orphanage where we'll (most likely) be united with our son or daughter. We loved watching the Greers' journey, and Tim and I did make our decision to pursue adoption while they were in Kigali meeting Myles. But the truth is, Rwanda wasn't even on our short list at that time!
And then there's Joyous Derner, another treasured friend, whose compassion and talent have contributed to our love of Rwanda and its people. Yet as much as Joy has influenced our hearts, I'm convinced that something deeper drew us to adopt specifically from Rwanda at this precise time in our lives. (I'll reserve the practical details about how we chose Rwanda for another blog post.)
When we first decided to move forward with adoption, it seemed like a huge endeavor. Intimidating, exciting, and eternally significant. It is all those things, yet ever since we began this journey our vision has continued to grow. "Explode" is probably a better word for it. No longer are we content to provide a forever home for one child. No longer does what we're doing seem unique or particularly praiseworthy. We are obeying, pure and simple, and obedience doesn't stop with one act.
These are the truths that have filled our conversations and thoughts lately, often creating intense frustration in my heart. I want to do MORE, and I want to do it NOW. Tim and I have been praying for guidance, vision, and resources to accomplish whatever God has planned for us, but I confess a severe lack of patience!
Thank God, He began to answer our prayers recently through my dear friend Laurel (yes, Myles' Mommy!), who is co-founding a non-profit designed to help the vulnerable children of Rwanda. Please click here to visit this organization's blog and find out more about their mission.
Laurel and Peter, Joyous and her husband Rob, me and Tim...all of us in the same Sunday school class at the same church with the same passion for the people and children of a tiny country the size of Maryland.
God is definitely up to something big.
Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hey Alison, I enjoy reading your blog. I really enjoyed this post because of the last sentence. I feel like God is up to something too.
ReplyDeleteI've felt it for the past couple weeks. An overwheming sense of his presence and that I might be a part of this awesome "something." It's interesting, though, because I'm not in the process of adopting. The pieces haven't fallen into place for me yet. But I'll be happy to share when they do.
Thanks for sharing this journey with me. I enjoy your openness and honesty regarding emotions, thoughts and the process.
Take care!
Wow, thank you Alison! He is!!! Becky--watch out, here comes the peer pressure!!!
ReplyDelete