Wednesday, November 17, 2010

a dark place

This valley I'm walking through is full of ravines, and sometime around last Thursday I tumbled into one of them. It's a dark place of frustration, doubt, and hopelessness. It's where the distance between my child and my arms is a visceral ache that cannot be eased by anything but physical contact or a miracle of Jesus.

For a few days I tried to climb out of this pit. I know the ropes. It's not my first time down here, though I've never been this deep. But today I'm tired of fighting. Tired of waiting. Tired of disappointments, secrets, and questions.

Yesterday at Bible study we watched a video of a soldier returning from combat and surprising his six-year-old son at school. You can watch it here. When the clip ended, the entire room was in tears, and I was no exception. The only problem was, my tears wouldn't stop. I had to slip away into an empty room and try to regain control, but all I could think about was that little boy's face and the intense love and longing he had for his father...and how badly I want to see our child's innate love and longing for a daddy fulfilled in Tim. I imagine them standing at opposite ends of a room, arms open and eager, but unable to run to one another because... Well, I don't know why. That's part of the ravine experience.

Sorry...I don't have any eloquent words of hope to turn this one into an uplifting lesson in endurance. I'm just letting you all know where I am and why I've disappeared for a while. If you need me, I'll be down here until Jesus pulls me out.

8 comments:

  1. Dear Alison~Tears fill my eyes as I read your blog today. My heart aches for you and for your little one in Rwanda that God is holding in His arms for you today. Praying for you.
    Love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear friend. I'm so sorry. I was there last week, as you know. A place of mourning, almost. Call me if you want to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison, so sorry for your deep pain. I can completely understand the ache and hate that you are in this...but know you will be out by His grace. Aching for you and for the tens of thousands of orphans in the world today who carry the same ache.

    ReplyDelete
  4. O Alison, so sorry but I completely understand backing out of life for awhile. i would have thought for sure you would have been a family of five by now. I have such frustration with this process, everything in life seems to move fast except governments. Thinking of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alison, I just started following your blog a couple of weeks ago, but I wanted to say I completely understand. I am in the same place right now. How I've managed the nearly 2 year wait with nary a shred of doubt or depression up till now I don't know, but all of the sudden about 2 weeks ago I felt absolutely overwhelmed with it. Our lovely baby room we have been putting so much love into to make it ready or our little boy waiting for us in Rwanda has had it's door open and each time I walked by it would remind me to be patient, our time would come. I've had to close the door lately.

    My very best to you and your family during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. alison. i know. i know so well. this is hard, brutal, awful...

    yet we KNOW it is also in His hands and His timing. {but i know that doesn't help sometimes...}

    praying for you! and ALL of our children!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Know that you aren't in this valley alone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't imagine the ache. Praying that He will lift you up and out of the darkness, that it might be a valley of vision.

    Made me think of this song:

    When You lead me to the valley of vision
    I can see You in the heights
    And though my humbling wouldn’t be my decision
    It’s here Your glory shines so bright
    So let me learn that the cross precedes the crown
    To be low is to be high
    That the valley’s where You make me more like Christ

    Let me find Your grace in the valley
    Let me find Your life in my death
    Let me find Your joy in my sorrow
    Your wealth in my need
    That You’re near with every breath
    In the valley

    In the daytime there are stars in the heavens
    But they only shine at night
    And the deeper that I go into darkness
    The more I see their radiant light
    So let me learn that my losses are my gain
    To be broken is to heal
    That the valley’s where Your power is revealed

    -B. Kauflin

    ReplyDelete