Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The obnoxious ticking clock

That would be me.

It's been just over 4 weeks since we sent our dossier to Washington, D.C. to be reviewed by our agency, the State Department, and the Rwandan Embassy. We're waiting on a non-objection letter from the embassy, and then everything goes overseas to the Rwandan Ministry of Gender and Family Promotion.

I knew this process would take about a month. Well, it's been a month. Plus three days. And I'm getting impatient.

Ridiculous, I know. What am I going to be like during the next phase, while we're waiting for our approval?! Let's not go there.

I'm sure part of my eagerness comes from the amazing news pouring in from so many other adopting families. This week has been incredible for Rwandan adoption! Not only are four families in Rwanda right now meeting their children, but several others just received their approvals AND referrals over the weekend! There's been so much exciting activity in our friends' journeys that it's hard to sit on the sidelines knowing our paperwork isn't even in the lineup yet.

At times like this it seems like our time will never come. Then again, as a child I never thought Christmas morning would come either, even after I'd been tucked into bed on Christmas Eve. Every year my Dad always told me, "The sooner you go to sleep, the sooner it will be morning." So true. Unfortunately, I can't sleep my way through the next few months of waiting, so instead I'll have to work on distracting myself.

Maybe I should take up knitting.

3 comments:

  1. Alison, Praying for you that you would hear great news soon!! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alison, I check your blog along with pretty much everyone else who is involved in the Rwanda adoption blog world. My husband and I are going to start the process soon. And I too have been amazed this week. Approval and referral in one weekend!! I thought of you and figured it would be nearly impossible to avoid the extra anticipation. I'll also be praying that you would hear good news soon. If I lived closer I'd offer to teach you how to knit. :) -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know...

    not sure what else to say :-)

    ReplyDelete