Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Witnessing a Miracle

Rarely do I recognize a miracle in the making, but this past Saturday, during our adoption benefit yard sale, I dropped into a chair on more than one occasion and said in awe, "This has to be God. It HAS to be!"

A 180 degree turnaround in the weather forecast preceded our big day. Predictions of rain nearly threw me into a panic on Thursday, but several friends quickly volunteered to pray for a change, and Saturday dawned crystal clear and beautifully mild - PERFECT yard sale weather! That was the first miracle.

The second started around 6 a.m. on Saturday, when cars began lining the street beyond sight in both directions. Never in my life have I seen such a crowd for a solitary yard sale, and it lasted all morning! The mass of shoppers was so thick at times I could barely squeeze from one end of the driveway to the other to answer questions and rearrange displays. And these particular bargain hunters were an unusual breed: several of them (total strangers, mind you) walked up and said "Good luck with the adoption," then handed over $10 or $20 bills without even taking anything! Other shoppers filled bags, boxes, and even laundry baskets with heaps of "treasures," many of which I fully expected to send to Goodwill at the end of the day. The "checkout" was frequently mobbed with 10 or 12 customers at a time (a special thanks to Marty Cooper and Lori Kirkham for your brilliant mental math and hours of precious time!).

As the morning progressed, my hopes for our earnings grew. I had tentatively hoped to raise around $1000, but that seemed an impossible number for a yard sale. I thought we might make it thanks to a couple of large (and almost anonymous) donations from our sweet friends, but I didn't want to get ahead of myself. Imagine my shock when I counted the money to find we had raised $2,384.98!!

THANK YOU to all who contributed to, prayed for, and/or shopped at our sale. Your support has moved us a giant step closer to our Rwandan child! May God bless you for eternally influencing the life of an orphan.

A distant (partial) view of the spread

Cousins Emily and Annabell checkin' out the crowd.

Liam and cousin Brayden acting as exhausted as Mommy & Daddy!

1 comment:

  1. Praise be to God for the wonderful miracle of how amazing your yard sale went!

    ReplyDelete