Thursday, August 27, 2009

Reality Check

AWAA (our adoption agency) hosted another conference call this afternoon for families in the Rwanda program. We're all at various stages in the process, some just starting out with home study prep and others within weeks of receiving their child referrals. I've been getting to know some of the other Rwanda families via a Yahoo chat group that AWAA created specifically for us, and it's such an encouragement to share questions and updates with people who are working through the same process and emotions.

I did have to fight a few minutes of discouragement after today's call, thanks to the updated timeline our family coordinator shared. The time between dossiers arriving in Rwanda and families receiving their non-objection letters (the Rwandan government's approval to adopt an orphan) is now estimated at 4-6 months. During last month's conference call we were told it could be anywhere from 1-5 months.

In addition, the Ministry of Gender and Family Promotion (the department of the Rwandan government that handles adoptions) has decided to change the referral process. Until recently, when the ministry issued a non-objection letter, it was given to AWAA's staff person in Rwanda, who in turn worked with the orphanage in matching a child to the adoptive family. Now, however, the ministry has decided to facilitate the entire referral process. They will work directly with the orphanage, and then send our child's information to the social worker who completed our home study, who will in turn pass it on to us. Apparently this is supposed to happen within 2 months of the issuance of the non-objection letter. Travel to pick up the child can be anywhere from 2-8 weeks after that point.

In all reality, this timeline isn't much different than what we were told in the beginning. It just seems like long wait today, perhaps because the reminder comes on the heels of finishing our home study, which is a major part of the paperwork process. I'm trying to remind myself that God's timing is perfect, and however long it takes to be united with our child, He will use every second of that time to prepare us.

I AM encouraged that in the last couple of days I've "met" two other AWAA Rwanda families in the same stage of paperwork. Who knows? Perhaps we'll be traveling together when the time comes to meet our children! That has been the trend lately with other Rwanda families.

Praying for patience and trust...

4 comments:

  1. Hi! My name is Ashley and I am also adoption from Rwanda using AWAA. I read your blog and wanted to clarify something. Last month on the conference call, Terra said that it has taken families 1 to 5 months to receive their approval letter. When we started the program, our information that AWAA gave us was 3-5 months (last fall). They then changed it in the last month to be 4-6 months. So the time for approval was never 1 to 5 months but yet what the time line for some families was. I know what it is like to have all of this information thrown at you (we just received our approval last week after almost 5 months of waiting). Hang in there! It will all work out. Enjoy the paperchase while you can, because once that is done, you just have to sit and wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashley. Thanks for clarifying, and for the encouragement! I know this will all seem insignificant a year from now, but it's hard to remember at times. :) I appreciate your experienced perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there through these "bumps in the road". As you know, God uses all things to bring Him glory. We will continue to be praying for all of you, as well as your Rwandan child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you, Alison. It was a bit discouraging. I'm ready to leave for Rwanda right now!

    ReplyDelete