Monday, February 21, 2011

Re-entering the blogosphere

I haven't written much on this blog for the past several months, mostly because I haven't known what to say. Last fall I was in a dark place, logging more hours in "the pit" than I care to remember. Since that time my heart has navigated the changing tides of surrender, hope, frustration, cynicism, compassion, excitement, gratitude, disillusionment, peace, and longing. No, I'm not a mental case. I'm a waiting mom.

The details of our adoption haven't changed much. We're still waiting for our approval (DTR 14 months on Valentine's Day), though we now have hope that it could arrive very soon! In early January we updated our home study and jumped the hurdles required for new USCIS paperwork. Tomorrow Tim and I will be getting our vaccinations for eventually traveling to Rwanda, and then, once our extended I-171H arrives, we'll be good to go for another year.

I'm not sure what to tell you about my blogosphere hibernation this winter. The details above tell you a little about what I did, but not about what happened. That vital part of the story is internal, and I haven't sorted it all out yet, at least not enough to share on this blog. I can tell you that God's ways are not only higher than mine, they're galaxies upon galaxies removed from my pitiful, short-sighted schemes. The past three months have taught me a lot about His bigness. (I don't like the sound of that word, but it's the only one that seems to fit.)

When we began this journey, I thought it was about a child. Or maybe about a child and the portrait adoption paints of God's grace to us through Jesus. But lately I've realized that's only scratching the surface. God is up to something much bigger than us, and much bigger than a poignant analogy. He's after eternal, worldwide, revolutionary change. He's after glory.

But that is yet another topic for another time. For now I just want to say hello, I'm back, and thanks for not un-following me this winter! :)

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your honesty. We continue to pray for your awaiting child, but also for all that there is to learn and gain by the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! Amen about being shown things thru this!

    We have been on the adoption journey on and off for 6 years, and can honestly say I've learned more about the nature of God, true family, prayerful waiting, worship, marriage - more in these 6 years than in the previous 26!

    I'm sure our children will have even more to tell about their journeys and graces...can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alison. Welcome back! Even though our journey has changed directions I still feel connected to all of the Rwanda adoption families and continue to pray for your journey. Can't wait to hear bits and pieces of what God has been writing on your heart. :)
    Lori Kapiloff

    ReplyDelete
  4. welcome back :-) this is quite a journey...so thankful to have people like you along with me!

    ReplyDelete