Then, on my due date, the contractions stopped. For three days, nothing. Against all logic I began to despair that my baby would never come. And then, of course, the next day he did.
Where am I going with this?
Yesterday, December 14, was the 1-year anniversary of our dossier arriving in Rwanda (known in the Rwanda adoption world as "DTR"). This special date becomes a sort of identity to waiting families. It is the basis for all our predictions, hopes, and expectations, most of which (in this case) turn out to be wrong or misinformed. Nevertheless, being one year DTR is something I wanted to recognize, hence this post.
As with the last weeks of my pregnancy with Liam, there have been days over the past year when it seemed certain that good news must be just around the corner, and others when it felt as though this journey would never end. Today is somewhere in between...hope tells me that the end is near, but the battle-weary side of me holds up a hand of caution.
I'm not sure how to end this post, so I'll leave it here: It's been a year. I feel every one of the past 12 months. They've been some of the hardest of my life, but I wouldn't trade the lessons they've held for the fastest, easiest approval on record.
How about that?

So wonderful Alison, God has blessed and taught so much in this time of waiting and He will certainly make it all worth it. I can't wait to hear of your approval and praying everyday that it will be here by Christmas! With you in spirit everyday, Sister.
ReplyDelete-Sheri Lichty
AW Family
"the past 12 months. They've been some of the hardest of my life, but I wouldn't trade the lessons they've held for the fastest, easiest approval on record." I like this a lot. I was thinking the same thing the other day, how the lessons learned are more eternally important for me now, than having everything go smoothly and quickly. Praying for you!
ReplyDelete