Friday, September 24, 2010

Crying at Payless

I took Annabell and Liam to Payless to find sneakers yesterday. Liam was easy, being a boy with zero preference for one style over another. Annabell was a bit more excited about the venture, and wanted to try on every pretty pair she could find, regardless of price or practicality.

Thanks to some bargaining and a handy coupon, we found what we needed for a great deal, but as we were getting ready to leave, I hesitated while walking past the infant/toddler section. Annabell stopped next to me, and somehow sensing my thoughts, grabbed the most adorable pair of baby girl's shoes.

"Mommy, can we get these for our baby?" she asked.

Believe it or not, I didn't immediately say no. After spending over thirty minutes trying the squeeze every possible nickel out of our purchase, I was standing there actually considering shelling out another $20 on a pair of shoes for a child we don't even have. A child who might very well turn out to be a boy.

Of course, my rational mind stepped in and sadly told her no, not yet. But I had to reign in my emotions before continuing to checkout. I doubt the sales clerk has seen many people brought to tears by the Payless inventory. And since she was already giving me a break on Liam's pair, I didn't want to abuse her good graces.

So I left the store holding two boxes of sneakers, two children's hands, and one more dream to add to the ever-growing list - shoes for my Rwandan baby.

Unfortunately for the poor sales clerk, I doubt I'll be able to buy them for real without blubbering at least a little bit.

5 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you. Whenever we pass the baby girl department at Walmart, the boys start asking for this outfit or that for her: "Look at the one with elephants! We like elephants! Can we get that one for the baby sister?" Oh, my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain.....looking forward to THE day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely relate. I cried in the mall food court last week. Like laid my head on the table and wept. I was watching Maddie and Nate eat pizza and started praying that our baby was sleeping with a full tummy and just lost it. I know this pain will be worth it. But- It. is. hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you! Praying for all our little ones, aching to hold them and shower them with all our built up love and effection. I'm afraid they will be sufficated by the love we so despiratly desire to give them.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete