Friday, August 27, 2010

Rough week

Most of those who read this blog have probably already heard the news, but for those of you who haven't, here it is:

Rwanda has decided to suspend all new adoptions as of August 31st until they are able to implement guidelines and procedures in accordance with the Hague Convention (the Hague is a way of guarding against child trafficking and abuse in regards to adoption). This means that anyone who has not yet submitted a dossier by next Tuesday will be unable to do so until further notice. The suspension could be mere months (unlikely) or several years.

Those who have already submitted authenticated dossiers (like us) will have their files processed according to the traditional guidelines. Still no word on how long that might take, but it sounds like it WILL happen.

As you can imagine, the Rwandan adoption community is reeling. So many friends were days away from having completed dossiers, and now the door has been slammed in their faces. All that work and all those dreams, trampled.

It's heartbreaking to comprehend. I think about names that have been chosen, nurseries that have been decorated, gifts that have been purchased...so many people devastated, angry, discouraged, confused.

This is where the questions arise. Did God really lead us down this path, or did we push ourselves in this direction? Was this all a mistake? How could He give us this dream and then crush it?

The weird thing is, I've imagined this scenario multiple times. Well, not this one exactly. More like: if Tim or I were to be diagnosed with some serious medical condition and our adoption denied because of it, how would I feel? I would be asking these questions and more. I would be asking, Is God still good? Do I trust Him?

Isn't that what it ultimately comes down to in the end? Trust. Adoption is about a lot of things, but lately trust seems to be at the top of the list.

I don't have answers, but I have prayers, and at the moment I have trust. For those of you who are hurting, I'm hurting with you. Just hold on and choose to trust, even though your heart is probably screaming against it. You're not alone. This isn't the end of your journey. Just hold on.

4 comments:

  1. And boy were you right, this wasn't the end! The goalposts keep moving and it has been an emotional rollercoaster. What I have learned- I take none of this adoption for granted anymore. It is a gift and a blessing if everything is successful, not an entitlement. And I also know that Rwanda is certainly the place we are supposed to be:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again!

    I didn't realize how long your dossier has been in Rwanda for Alison...hope and prayers coming your way for a referral soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Continuing to pray until your little one comes home to you forever. Your life is glorifying God so much as you put your hope and faith in Him. I can't imagine how devastating this must be for everyone involved...

    I once heard someone say that even when every circumstance in life is making us think that God is not good, we have only to look at the Cross to be reminded of His goodness. There, He proved His love and goodness for all time, even if earthly circumstances don't make any sense. I can only imagine how He pleased He must be by the way you are clinging to the truth about Him!

    I'm praying that He will keep upholding you. God is so at work in your heart for you to be able look up at Him and not be overwhelmed with the pain. Praying...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Alison - Thank you for your encouraging words - we are one of the families who are asking "now what?" and trusting that God is preparing our children to join our family at the perfect time. We have been following your blog, feeling your pain and frustration, and praying for you. We trust that your child is coming home soon!!
    -The West Family from Chambersburg, PA (AWAA family as well - in the Rwandan program)

    ReplyDelete